Dang this vegan pepper jack cheese sauce is good! I could slather it on anything. I based this recipe on my vegan Alfredo sauce and it may be my favorite variation yet!
My favorite way to eat it is on my vegan chorizo nachos, but it’s also good in a vegan grilled cheese sandwich (it makes it spicy and extra cheeeeezy), and it is an excellent oozy, melty addition to a chickpea omelet.
It’s spicy, so you can vary the amount of pickled jalapeños you add at the end. The roasted red peppers are not spicy, so you can add those to your heart’s desire. It’s basically a vegan white queso when you use it on these nachos!
Now I’m just dreaming of what else I can put this on. Perhaps I’ll come up with a vegan philly cheese steak recipe next!
Vegan Pepper Jack Cheese Sauce / White Queso
- 1.5 C (240 g) peeled, chopped white potato
- ½ C (70g) cauliflower, chopped
- ¼ C vegetable oil
- 1 T. vegan butter, softened
- ¼ C unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp jalapeno brine
- 1½ tsp arrowroot flour/starch
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 6 jalapeno slices, minced
- 2 tbsp. roasted red pepper, minced
- Place prepared vegetables in a pot of boiling salted water and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT jalapeños and roasted red peppers to a high-speed blender.
- When cauliflower and potatoes are soft, drain them and add to the blender. Vent blender and blend until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape the sides. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl or storage container. Stir in minced jalapeños and roasted red peppers.