Vegan Egg Salad. How can it be a thing? Well, truthfully the “egg” in Vegan Egg Salad should probably be in quotation marks, because this scrumptious sandwich filling is made of organic, super-protein-packed tofu!
I love buying egg salad at my local co-op, but it’s kind of expensive and I try not to eat too many eggs during the week, saving up for my favorite local eggs for whatever we cook up at weekend brunch. This was a great compromise—after trying my hand at a vegan omelette (which I’m also obsessed with) I learned how delicious eggless egg dishes can be.
There’s a great reason to add a little tofu into your diet, even if you’re not a vegetarian. Reducing the amount of animal products you consume reduces your environmental impact. Plus, it’s hard to argue about the benefits of adding a bit of plant protein into your diet.
The texture and richness of egg salad is what I really love, and this recipe has both! It won’t taste much like hard-boiled eggs, but it fits the bill on all other accounts. Plus, it’s a whole lot healthier with less cholesterol (none, to be exact).
How to Make Vegan Egg Salad
- ¼ c. vegan mayonnaise (such as Just Mayo)
- 2 T. whole-grain mustard
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. olive oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 16 oz. block firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
- ¼ c. celery, finely chopped
- ¼ c. green onions, chopped
- 3 T. chopped dill pickle
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh dill, if desired
- Press your block of tofu for about 20 minutes to remove as much water as possible. I use a tofu press for ease.
- Combine the first nine ingredients in a medium bowl to form a dressing. Crumble the pressed tofu into the bowl with the dressing. Stir to coat.
- Add celery, green onions and pickle to the bowl with the tofu and dressing and toss to combine. Season with ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh dill, if desired.
- Refrigerate until you're ready to serve it. This is tasty as a sandwich with lettuce and fresh tomato, on a toasted, open-faced bagel or on top of crackers.