This is sweet potato hash is my favorite weekend breakfast side dish! The sweetness of the sweet potatoes creates a good balance with the savory garlic, peppers, shallots and spices. Turmeric adds a warm, mustardy flavor, and the cayenne pepper gives it a little bit of heat. It’s perfect alongside a couple of fried or softly scrambled eggs. If you’re vegan, these sweet potato breakfast potatoes would be wonderful with, or mixed into, a tofu scramble.
How to Make Sweet Potato Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 pepper (banana pepper, serrano chile and poblano pepper are all delicious)
- 1½ tbsp. coconut oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depending on size), pressed or minced finely
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan on low-medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once it's melted, add the garlic and shallot and stir frequently so they don't burn. Once it's fragrant (a minute or two) add in the potatoes and peppers. Stir or toss until everything is well coated with oil.
- Turn the heat up to medium and cook for about 10 minutes, covered, until the potatoes begin to get soft. Toss or stir every so often.
- When the potatoes begin to soften, add the salt, pepper, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Cook an additional five to eight minutes (uncovered) stirring and tossing less frequently so the potatoes begin to get golden brown and crispy on the outside. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- When everything is cooked through (dip a toothpick into a few to make sure they're soft in the middle!) and golden brown on the outside, it's time to serve!