Mmm. Well doesn’t this gluten-free everything bagel with sun-dried tomato vegan cream cheese look just delightful?
My husband and I recently took a trip to New York City to visit some of our friends who live there. Our hosts, Kristen and David, could not have been more accommodating and showed us the best Manhattan and Brooklyn have to offer.
All the food was incredible, but one of my favorite stops was at Tompkins Square Bagels in the East Village. You might remember the post where I shared how when I was a kid I had a bagel with cream cheese every morning for years. My maple-pecan vegan cream cheese recipe was one of the first I developed for this blog since I can no longer eat dairy and craved it so much back then.
When I found out Tompkins Square Bagels had gluten-free bagels and vegan cream cheese, I knew I had to stop by and try one for myself. I ordered a gluten-free everything bagel with sun-dried tomato vegan cream cheese and an egg, then waited anxiously in a line that wrapped around the inside of the bagel shop. When it was time to get our bagels I couldn’t wait to gobble it up.
Kristen captured my experience (and Eric made sure I had napkins!):
It. Was. Awesome.
So when I got back home, I found gluten-free everything bagels at Target (store bought don’t do a New York bagel any justice) and set out to create my own sun-dried tomato vegan cream cheese so I could at least have a decently similar experience at home.
I’m very happy with the results! And now you enjoy this scrumptious experience at home for yourself.
Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Cream Cheese
- ¼ block firm tofu, pressed to remove excess water
- 1 tbsp. vegan mayo, such as Hampton Creek Just Mayo
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. brine from a jar of banana peppers (or white vinegar if you don't have them on hand)
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil, divided, plus 1 tsp. oil from the jar
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. dried parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Crumble tofu into the smoothie cup attachment of a high speed blender. If you don't have one, consider doubling this recipe so the blender is full enough to do its job.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for 1 tsp. chopped sun dried tomatoes. Blend until the mixture is emulsified.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mixture into a bowl. Whisk briefly to make sure everything is mixed well. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Whisk in remaining 1 tsp. sun dried tomatoes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Can be made up to three days ahead.
The only thing I knew about the Tompkins vegan cream cheese was that it was made with tofu (and, inevitably, sun-dried tomatoes) so I don’t know if this is anything like the true recipe, but it’s good enough for me!