My breakfast of choice as a kid was a bagel with cream cheese. Sometimes on the weekends my dad would take me to the bagel shop in my hometown and I’d get a chocolate chip bagel with decadent honey-almond cream cheese. This vegan cashew cream cheese recipe is my nod to those memories. A great alternative to peanut butter on gluten-free toast or apple slices, this version is a bit healthier than my choice at the bagel shop way back when.
Maple-Pecan Cashew Cream Cheese Recipe
- 1 ½ c. raw cashews - soak in cold water for 8-12 hours before you begin
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ⅓ c. water
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup (adjust the sweetness as you go)
- ¼ c. chopped pecans (walnuts would also be great!)
- Place the soaked cashews in a blender or food processor. Add vinegar, lemon juice, water, maple syrup, and cinnamon and blend until smooth. If your blender gets stuck, remove any smooth mixture from the container and continue to blend the remaining until it is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and mix in the pecans. Refrigerate for a few hours until it becomes a bit more firm.
To serve, spread on apple slices, toast, a bagel, crackers or whatever you like! My favorite way to serve: Toast spread with a bit of the cashew cream cheese, topped with sliced apples. Mmmmmm!
Keep your cashew cream cheese in a covered container in the fridge. Some liquid may rise to the top as it sits in the fridge. You can either mix it in or pour it right out. This will keep in the fridge for about five days.
In case you’re in the market for a blender to make this recipe, I use my Magic Bullet Blender
to make it, as well as to make creamy sauces and dressings, to grind coffee, and make smoothies! It’s quite affordable and I like it so much that I purchased a second one to keep at work.
The link in this post for the Magic Bullet Blender is an affiliate link. If you click on it and make a purchase, I will make a small commission that goes to help support this blog!