Looking for an easy, healthy AND tasty lunch that’s loaded with vegetables? These lettuce wraps are probably the best you’ll find. You can load them up with whatever veggies and fillings you want. Add nutritious toppings like hemp seeds or other favorites and you’re in business! Plus, they’re one of the easiest to put together because you assemble as you go.
My favorite filling for these—by far—is hummus. But not just any hummus. For me, it either has to be my homemade hummus, or Sabra’s Roasted Pine Nut hummus. I have yet to find another store-bought flavor that I enjoy as much as this one!
Typically I prefer to drink my greens in smoothie form, but these lettuce wraps are a close second and they offer a larger variety of vegetables to choose from.
The sky’s the limit with these lettuce wraps, but here are a few of my favorite things to load up on (not necessarily all at once, but maybe … if you do that, let me know how it goes!)
Vegetables (thinly sliced or spiralized): Radish, carrot, bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes
Spreads (about a tablespoon per wrap): Hummus, bean dip, seed spread
Other fillings: Olives, corn salad, lentils
Grains: Quinoa, rice
Bonus: Sauce! Garlic aioli would be BOMB on these lettuce wraps. Or toss the veggies in your favorite dressing for an added layer of flavor.
- Romaine or Butter Lettuce
- Hummus (or your favorite vegan spread)
- Variety of vegetables and other fillings: radish, carrot, bell pepper, olives, broccoli, hemp seeds, cherry tomatoes, corn, beans, cauliflower, rice, quinoa, lentils
- Wash and prepare all of your ingredients. Thinly slice or spiralize any thick vegetables. Separate the leaves of your lettuce.
- Take a tablespoon or so of your favorite spread, like hummus, and spread it onto each lettuce leaf. Cover with toppings that may escape easily, like seeds, rice, lentils or beans.
- Top with additional veggies. Serve cold.
For me, these are mostly just a delicious vehicle for my favorite hummus, but the best part is, they’re healthy and filling, too! As with most of my recipes, make these your own and you won’t be sorry.