Well would you look at that? This healthy blueberry cake is a dessert you can feel good about eating for breakfast. If you’re opposed to sweets in the morning, this cake just may change your mind. It’s gluten free and vegan with healthy whole grains and flax, so there’s no reason for guilt! Plus, it will keep you full for hours. AND because it’s bursting with blueberries you also get a serving of fruit. Win, win, win. (Have I convinced you to eat this cake yet?)
This blueberry cake recipe was inspired by one of my favorite blogs, The Big Man’s World. Here is Arman’s original recipe for Healthy Flourless Blueberry Breakfast Cake. He’s got quite the amazing array of healthy recipes and almost always includes options for vegan diets, paleo diets, etc. Go check him out!
Once I made this recipe, I became obsessed with it! It stays so moist and it’s a perfect snack for anytime of day. I’ve eaten it for breakfast, morning snack and desserts, so it’s quite versatile. I even decided to turn it into muffins while I still had blueberry cake leftovers in my fridge.
When I was testing the muffins, as soon as I got to the wet ingredients, I realized I was out of applesauce! Gah … 😤 Isn’t that always how it goes? So I dug through my cupboards and found a can of pineapple rings. I blended up three slices in my Ninja Mega and voilà, I was able to use the puree in place of the applesauce in the recipe below and now I like it even better.
I found that the tastiest way to enjoy the blueberry cake OR blueberry muffins is to heat up a serving in the microwave (20-25 seconds should do it!) and top with coconut yogurt or coconut butter. Yum!
Now go make this yourself! You won’t be sorry.
Blueberry Cake or Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats, ground into flour
- ½ c. coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 c. almond milk*
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ c. + 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, softened
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8''x8'' pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Combine first five dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir to mix well.
- In another bowl or large measuring cup, combine almond milk, applesauce and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add remaining wet ingredients (flax egg, coconut oil) and blueberries and stir to combine.
- Pour cake batter into your prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 30 minutes before cutting into 3 slices by 4 slices.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for a few days.
For nut-free option, sub for your favorite plant-based milk.
You can sub pineapple puree for the unsweetened applesauce. Puree a few slices of canned pineapple and measure it out just like the applesauce.
To make these into blueberry muffins, fill 12 baking cups about ¾ of the way full and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick should come out clean. Let rest in the pan 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack. Makes 18 muffins.