This arugula salad with pine nuts and pears is light and crisp and wonderful alongside a hearty pasta or gnocchi. I first discovered my love of it when my friends and I made it to go with gluten-free sweet potato gnocchi with dairy-free pesto for a girls night.
Arugula Salad with Pine Nuts and Pears
- 1 Box or bunch of arugula
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2-3 tbsp. Olive oil (this will depend on your preference for acid-to-oil ratio)
- Splash of vinegar (champagne, apple cider, white, whatever you like)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 ripe pear, sliced
- a few tablespoons of pine nuts (or any good nut you have around)
- Whisk together the olive oil, juice from the lemon, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Dip an arugula leaf in and taste so you can adjust the flavors to your liking. Once it's ready, pour the box of arugula into the bowl and use your hands to toss the salad until it's all dressed. Arugula is very hardy and benefits from a little extra time in the dressing. It helps to plate the salad after this step, in case you have too much dressing at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the pine nuts in a pan and toast, stirring or shaking the pan pretty frequently so they don't burn. Once they have a little color, remove from the heat.
- Slice the pear into bite-sized pieces. Top the greens with pear slices and pine nuts and serve with gluten-free sweet potato gnocchi and walnut-spinach pesto sauce.